Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Are apartments required to send monthly statements?

I have lived in my apartment complex for over two years now, and they have always sent a monthly statement in the mail of what I owe for rent. They stopped doing so this month without any notice that they were "going green". I have no problem with them going green, but feel that they need to provide a place on their website where you can go and log in (which you can do to put in service requests already) so that you can view your rent statement. When I spoke to the istant manager about this, I was told that there was no plan to do this. When I pointed out that utility bills vary from month to month, he told me that I could send him an e-mail asking for my balance. Being active duty military, I told him that that would not do because I want official doentation on what I owe, not just some e-mail stating a number. In the past I underpaid by $19 one month, and recieved a notice that I had 48 hours to pay the ammount or legal action would be taken, which was no problem I went right down and paid it. The problem that I had with that was that it was dated the day before it was delievered to me (which then only gave me 24 hours to pay). The istant manage also stated that residents get a statement from the utility company and that we should go off of that for what we owe. But we don't pay the utility company, we pay the apartment complex. Am I wrong to think that they should have to provide an official monthly statement? If not by mail then have the option for you to view it online? Is there a requirement for them to provide one? I have searched all over online, but haven't been able to find an answer. Please help! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment